[Haskell-cafe] ghc on xeon phi?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Tue Feb 21 08:35:47 UTC 2017

Johannes Waldmann wrote:

> would a program compiled by ghc, or ghc itself,
> run as-is on Intel Xeon Phi (KNL)?
>
> I found this reference
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22253311/running-haskell-on-xeon-phi
> but it seems to be about the pre-KNL version.

Xeon Phi is effectively a different architecture, in the same way
that the ARM architecture is different from the x86_64 architecture.

Currently GHC does not support the Xeon Phi architecture directly.
It may however (as the SO response suggests) be possible to generate
C code from GHC and compile that C code with with a C compiler that
can generate Xeon Phi binaries. However, I am sure that route would
be a signicant yak shaving exercise.

Erik