[Haskell-cafe] Network.Download stops after 10 downloads

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 01:53:56 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 8:49 PM, Stéphane Thibaud <snthibaud at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have tried the Network.Download library in order to download CSV files
> from Yahoo Finance, but after the 10th download every next download fails.
> Does Network.Download keep connections open? I did consume the result of
> the openURI function (even with deepseq). Any ideas?

Can you get any details about why/how it fails? It could well be something
as simple as Yahoo throttling you for too many connections in too short a
time or something; in that case, the error from Yahoo should indicate it,
but if all you get back is a 4xx or 5xx code then it won't be obvious.
(Which may well mean something like running it under strace with +RTS -V0
to see the actual error returned.)