[Haskell-cafe] Question about ST arrays

Ramin Honary ramin.honary at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 15:36:27 UTC 2017

You should use "runSTArray" or "runSTUArray" instead of "runST" to convert
your STArray to an immutable array:  https://hackage.haskell.
org/package/array-0.5.2.0/docs/Data-Array-ST.html#v:runSTUArray

Or another option is to use "stToIO"  to convert the "STArray" to an
"IOArray."
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.10.1.0/docs/Control-Monad-ST-Lazy.html#v:stToIO
but if you want to build an IOArray, it is better to just start with an
IOArray rather than converting an STArray to an IOArray.

The design of ST arrays is to allow you to construct them quickly and then
make them immutable once you are done constructing it.

An immutable array must have the whole array copied after every single
update, but ST arrays allow you to make many updates without copying, then
when you have completed constructing the ST array, you must freeze it to an
immutable array using the "runSTUArray" function. Freezing happens without
copying the array, after that it is immutable and may not be made into an
STArray again unless you unfreeze it using "thaw", which creates a copy of
it:
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/array-0.5.2.0/docs/Data-Array-MArray.html#v:thaw

Once you have constructed your immutable array, you can access it
arbitrarily using the immutable operator (!).

If you want to make multiple updates at multiple times, you must use an
IOArray or IOUArray. The ST monad is designed for you to construct pure,
referentially transparent, immutable values in an isolated and strictly
evaluated "environment" that lets you perform strict updates during
construction. Once evaluation of the "ST" monad is complete, the returned
value becomes pure, immutable, and referentially transparent. The for-all'd
"s" parameter of the "runST" function ensures you do not mix separate
"environments," and this is the reason you got your type error. Using
"runSTArray" or "runSTUArray" does not have this restriction.

I am not sure of the reason for this design decision, but I know it has
something to do with the compiler guaranteeing that pure immutable
referentially transparent types are constructed without effecting each
other, preventing race conditions. There is discussion of this on the
Haskell wiki:
https://wiki.haskell.org/Monad/ST#An_explanation_in_Haskell-Cafe