[Haskell-cafe] Are bottoms ever natural?

(IIIT) Siddharth Bhat siddharth.bhat at research.iiit.ac.in
Tue Dec 19 06:47:03 UTC 2017

I've been thinking about the issue of purity and speculation lately, and
from what little I have read, it looks like the presence of bottom hiding
inside a lazy value is a huge issue.

How "natural" is it for bottoms to exist? If one were to change Haskell and
declare that any haskell value can be speculated upon, what ramifications
does this have?

Is it totally broken? Is it "correct" but makes programming unpleasant?
What's the catch?

Thanks,
Siddharth
--
Sending this from my phone, please excuse any typos!