[Haskell-cafe] Writing an interpreter for a language with mutability

Baa aquagnu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 09:06:33 UTC 2017

Hello,

IMHO interpretor written in any language will need collection of
mappings. What is the mutation?

  x = 1
  x = 2

is this a mutation? `x` is a member of some collection (dict/map) and
last line remap/rebind its value. Sure, you need collection to access
all values by name. But `x` can be complex value, for example
record/structure with fields. So, we should talk about map of maps. Is
it effective? May be you need one big tree? What kind of trees are
effective we know from RDBMS. So, obviously you need some collection.
In Python any object has ID (it can be address in virtual memory) and
reference counter - for GC. It's very common scheme.
But you can implement another scheme too: to compile tree, allocate
objects in some memory storage structure (pool/pools of objects with the
same size) and to translate names to indexes - how in done in usual
compiled languages like C, Pascal, etc. VM-based languages uses
different schemes but sometimes the same. You can allocate objects in
stack, in registers and sure heap. And you need to translate names into
indexes in those storages.

But you are right, simplest way is to allocate them in some collection
and to use hash/index/etc to access them. May be one big tree will be
good solution. So, interesting is to choose right kind of tree.

It's my IMHO :)

As idea, I can only say: it is better to check implementations of
ddifferent classical interpreting languages: Tcl, Lisp/Scheme, Basic,
Python, IO, Lua, etc. You can find many interesting ideas there

===
Best regards, Paul