[Haskell-cafe] The Definition of Haskell

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 05:14:08 UTC 2017

Dunno about safety results, but
https://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/haskell2010/ exists (next revision
expected in 2020 iirc).
https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/lang.html
documents ghc's extensions to the standard, and
https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/bugs.html#haskell-standards-vs-glasgow-haskell-language-non-compliance
its deviations from the standard, some of which will likely be in the next
standard.

Some things, such as how typeclasses are implemented, are not specified in
the standard so that alternative implementations can choose to implement
them differently. ghc uses dictionary / record parameters; jhc did whole
program compilation, so all non-polymorphically-recursive typeclass methods
could be resolved at compile time (I don't know offhand how it handled
polymorphic recursion).