[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform

mike thomas mjt464 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 21:12:10 UTC 2017

Re the primary school kids using Haskell, that is amazing Harendra.   Well
done.

I wonder what Alan Kay and his team would think - Haskell is the new
Smalltalk!

On 24 Aug 2017 11:27 am, "Harendra Kumar" <harendra.kumar at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Stuart,

I am not sure if there is a unanimous preferred way of installing Haskell.
I guess the answer depends on who you ask. My preferred choice is "stack".
I am no university prof or a school teacher but I do teach Haskell to my
6th grader and 2nd grader kids. I gave them a laptop (Mac OS) and told them
how to install "stack" and they did it in a jiffy. They have been using it
for several months with no complaints whatsoever. If little kids can do it
I guess it should not be a problem for univ students.

I have also been using stack myself for my professional work and it
resonates well with my own thinking of how a package (and language tools)
manager should behave. Additionally the stack team is very responsive if
you want to get something fixed. When I started learning Haskell a few
years ago I really enjoyed contributing to stack thanks to Michael Sloan's
quick responses and encouraging feedback on the PRs.

-harendra