[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 21:46:59 UTC 2017

I’m hoping to release a new platform either tonight or tomorrow.

We delayed the release of the platform more than usual after the GHC release for two reasons. First: we wanted to wait for a new cabal-install release, which is now out, and provides integration with the experimental “backpack” module system in the new GHC. Second: We ran into what seems to be a serious bug in GHC 8.2.1 on win32 platforms, and wanted to see if it could be resolved quickly. [1] The current plan is to just only provide a 64 bit windows release for 8.2.1 as we don’t believe the 32 bit release is stable at this time.

In general, we continue to support the platform, and aim for releases within a few weeks of GHC releases, or sooner. And from download statistics, while I can’t judge them comparitively, it still seems to be widely downloaded and installed, especially on windows systems. There are certainly other choices, and I don’t think there is any “communitywide” consensus across different userbases (be they commercial, of various sorts, educational, etc.), but we on the platform team definitely are continuing to support it, and hopefully improve its quality over time.

As for cabal — the team can speak to that better than I. But there’s certainly a great deal of support and active development going on at the moment (witness the new backpack support in cabal-install 2.0 for example), and the team working on it seems to have acquired some steady momentum. It also remains widely used by all accounts.

Best,
Gershom

[1]: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14081