[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform

Stuart A. Kurtz stuart at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 23 16:46:22 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,

What's the status of the Haskell Platform? Is it still the/a preferred way to install a working Haskell system? What is the update status of the Platform? [I note that the platform is at 8.0.2, whereas GHC is at 8.2.1, so I'm really asking if there's a roadmap/timeline for updates.]

I write because I teach an introductory class in Haskell, and we've long used the Platform as a way to get the system up and running on the student's systems. I'm at a quarter school, but I have to think this is a sharp question for anyone trying to teach a Haskell course at a semester school.

Is the Platform still the best way to do this? Will cabal continue to be a reasonable choice as default package manager?

Thank you for your consideration.

Peace,

Stu