[Haskell-cafe] GHC 8.2.1 + lld on FreeBSD

Sumit Raja sumitraja at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 02:25:24 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've been playing with ghc 8.2.1 and clang + lld on FreeBSD 11. I
wasn't able to get the installation as per release notes to select lld
instead of gold (will spend more time exploring why when I get a
chance) so I modified the settings file after install. I have builds
running okay but I keep seeing the following:

[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( hs.hs, hs.o )
Linking hs ...

<no location info>: error:
    Warning: Couldn't figure out linker information!
             Make sure you're using GNU ld, GNU gold or the built in
OS X linker, etc.

I've set up ld.lld39 as the shipped lld  is 4.0. Although not
affecting the actual build ("Hello World") but was interested to know
why this was happening. Settings file is below:

[("GCC extra via C opts", " -fwrapv -fno-builtin"),
 ("C compiler command", "clang"),
 ("C compiler flags", " -fno-stack-protector"),
 ("C compiler link flags", "-L/usr/local/lib -fuse-ld=lld39"),
 ("C compiler supports -no-pie", "NO"),
 ("Haskell CPP command","clang"),
 ("Haskell CPP flags","-E -undef -traditional"),
 ("ld command", "ld.lld"),
 ("ld flags", "-L/usr/local/lib"),
 ("ld supports compact unwind", "YES"),
 ("ld supports build-id", "YES"),
 ("ld supports filelist", "NO"),
 ("ld is GNU ld", "YES"),
 ("ar command", "/usr/bin/ar"),
 ("ar flags", "clqs"),
 ("ar supports at file", "NO"),
 ("touch command", "touch"),
 ("dllwrap command", "/bin/false"),
 ("windres command", "/bin/false"),
 ("libtool command", "libtool"),
 ("perl command", "/usr/local/bin/perl"),
 ("cross compiling", "NO"),
 ("target os", "OSFreeBSD"),
 ("target arch", "ArchX86_64"),
 ("target word size", "8"),
 ("target has GNU nonexec stack", "True"),
 ("target has .ident directive", "True"),
 ("target has subsections via symbols", "False"),
 ("target has RTS linker", "@HaskellHaveRTSLinker@"),
 ("Unregisterised", "NO"),
 ("LLVM llc command", "llc39"),
 ("LLVM opt command", "opt39")