[Haskell-cafe] type (++) = (<>)

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 16:30:52 UTC 2017

There was a great deal of monomorphization that went into the Haskell 98
standard under the nominal goal of trying to help newcomers to the language
with simpler error messages. For more you can read old mailing list posts
from that timeframe.

As a technical aside, (<>) is used for Monoid (and soon will upgrade to
Semigroup) not MonadPlus, so the symbols have diverged in sentiment. Not
only that, but (++) and (<>) get mixed in existing pretty printing code a
good deal, and have different fixities, and must, lest a bunch of code
silently change semantics. This was one reason why (<>) was added (to match
existing practice in the pretty printing libraries) rather than
generalizing (++).

Once we've added (<>), generalizing (++) becomes less urgent and actually
has some cons. Notably, there is a subset of the community that finds the
current form of map and (++) potentially useful for teaching about lists.
If they generalized to become fmap and (<|>) or (<>) then we create a
redundant notation for an existing thing, with no roadmap for replacing one
with the other, and lose the teaching tool.

As a general guideline, the core libraries committee has been trying to
avoid introducing redundant names that have the exact same type signature,
with possibly different fixity, but where one is exported from the class
and the other isn't, because it makes it yet another detail you have to
memorize to know which one is the one in the class and can be refined: the
types simply don't tell you.

Having one version that is strictly more general enables one subset of the
community to simply forget about the other one and move on, and another
subset that aren't fans of rampant abstraction to use the one with more
specific type when they want to clearly signal intent.

I'd be slightly more open to discussions about eventual removal or exile of
the redundant members to an appropriate module than generalization under
that guideline, but that isn't a hill I'd want to die on. (++) is pretty
well embedded in Haskell's DNA.

*tl;dr* It happened at first because of a great wave of monomorphization,
and there is at least a defensible reason why it hasn't generalized back in
the presence of other changes that have happened in the meantime.

-Edward