[Haskell-cafe] Running ghci in a Cabal sandbox

Emil Axelsson 78emil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 17:51:49 UTC 2017

Den 2017-08-04 kl. 19:33, skrev Daniel Trstenjak:

> Hi Emil,
>
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 07:10:09PM +0300, Emil Axelsson wrote:
>> Ah, I see. I still don't understand what went wrong in this particular case,
>> but at least it makes sense that there's a difference between `-package-db`
>> and `cabal exec`.
>
> can you please test if `cabal-cargs` behaves in the same way as `cabal exec`
> if you add a `-no-user-package-db` or/and replace `-packabe-db` by `-user-package-db`.

Yes! `-no-user-package-db` does the trick.

I have to admit I had forgotten completely about the user DB. When
running `cabal sandbox hc-pkg list` I only see the global one and the
one in the sandbox. But `ghc-pkg` shows the user DB and indeed it
contains `hashable-1.2.6.1` which was causing me trouble.

Cool, problem solved.

Would it make sense then for `cabal-cargs` to always emit
`-no-user-package-db` when it discovers a sandbox?

Cheers

/ Emil