[Haskell-cafe] Wow Monads!

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Apr 19 13:52:53 UTC 2017

Am 19.04.2017 um 14:56 schrieb David McClain:

>> On Apr 19, 2017, at 05:42, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org
>> <mailto:jo at durchholz.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I was assuming that macros are global.
>> It's very old Lisp experience from the days when Common Lisp and
>> Scheme were new fads, when Lisp machines were still a thing, and had
>> to be rebooted on a daily basis to keep them running.
>
> Was Lisp ever a fad? I’m shocked to hear that. Seriously!

Common Lisp and Scheme were, in their first years.
They both managed to transition from "fad" to "production-ready" AFAICT,
probably after a stabilization period (I dimly recall having read
versioned standardization documents).

Lisp as such... probably. Whenever people with enough raw horsepower to
use Lisp in practice met people who didn't, because then it would be a
fad from the latter ones. Which pretty much meant everybody who didn't
have access to abundant corporate-sponsored or state-sponsored hardware.