[Haskell-cafe] Wow Monads!

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Wed Apr 19 13:08:03 UTC 2017

Around that time, I only first heard about commercial Lisp systems from Franz (VAX), HP (their own minicomputers), and Symbolics. It was around 1988 when I first saw a Lisp Machine, at a defense contractor (SAIC), after they showed me how defense spending under Pres. Reagan was in the exponential knee of increase. But the fad seemed to be hugely focused on VAX/VMS, not Lisp.

Over in the commercial realm, the fad seemed to be with TRS-80, Atari, Mac (?), definitely IBM/PC’s, Pascal, then Object Pascal. Even C wasn’t getting much traction, and C++ was just a gleam in the envious C community’s eyes - largely a preprocessor of some sort. Smalltalk was a fascinating curiosity, and only tinkerers were playing with it.

- DM