[Haskell-cafe] How does GHC avoid "<stderr>: hPutChar: invalid argument (invalid character)"?

Merijn Verstraaten merijn at inconsistent.nl
Tue Apr 11 07:46:58 UTC 2017

This sounds to me like a classical case of a wrongly (or not) configured locale/terminal. As a starting point I would check both what the locale variables are set to (run "locale" in the shell) and check what encoding the terminal is set to. I've noticed a lot of linux installs have completely borked configuration with regards to these and in those cases GHC can't do much.

Side note: Just forcing output to be utf8 is *definitely* the wrong thing to do, as it'd break any environment set to a different encoding...

Cheers,
Merijn