[Haskell-cafe] What is a safe Haskell data type to store and manipulate Money values?
saurabhnanda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 11:21:02 UTC 2017
Thank you for your reply. Some clarifications below...
> It depends on what sort of computation you'll be doing upon those
> monetary values and on the expectations of your users. It's typical
> that payment processing applications sacrifice precision and instead
> prefer to deal in exact quantities
Is there a document which explains common use-cases for monetary values and
best-practices for dealing with them? Any guidelines for which **Haskell**
data-types to use for what kind of monetary calculations?
Here is what we are doing in our app:
* Powering web-based e-commerce checkout flows
* Allowing store owners to input tax rates
* Allowing end-customers to see product prices in different currencies (so,
* Various reports to see total sales, total receivables, and total payables
(basically a **very** small subset of small-business accounting)
* Exporting data to full-fledged accounting systems, like Quickbooks and
Based on this use-case, which Haskell data-type would you suggest?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Haskell-Cafe