[Haskell-cafe] Getting containers updated in Stackage

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 20:26:33 UTC 2017

> What I'm suggesting is a bit narrower: I think stack should probably just
> ignore GHC boot packages altogether, aside from the necessary ones (I think
> just ghc-prim, ghc, base, and array, but you'd have to check the full GHC
> API to be sure). Never use them, and pretend they don't exist.

My personal understanding of Stackage is: It's a collection of packages
with *exactly* one version of each package, and all those versions are
guaranteed to work together. (<= Well, at least in the eyes of the
resolver, not necessarily in a semantic way) So: As long as GHC exposes its
"non-necessary" packages, whatever that means in detail, I doubt that there
will be other versions of them on Stackage. That's what Hackage is for...

Again: That's at least my understanding...