[Haskell-cafe] Batteries included (Was: GHC is a monopoly compiler)

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Sep 30 08:22:55 UTC 2016

>> HyperHaskell
>
> Nifty!
>
> - How does this compare to jupyter (ipython) with the haskell kernel?

The overall goal is obviously very similar. To me, the main differences are

  * HyperHaskell should be easy to install
    (e.g. only cabal and a binary download)

  * HyperHaskell behaves more like a desktop application, e.g. worksheets
    are loaded from and saved to the local file system.

The latter point is actually the main reason why I couldn't get into
Jupyter at all: It insisted that I manage worksheets in some kind of
database in the browser. Ugh! (There may be other front-ends nowadays,
but last I checked, I didn't find anything official or popular, that's
why I decided to write my own thing.)

On the flip side, HyperHaskell is specialized to Haskell -- you can't
use it with other languages.

> - Is it on GitHub or somewhere?

Not yet, it's still in the "hype" phase. ;-) Expect the following location

   https://github.com/HeinrichApfelmus/hyper-haskell

to fill with code in a week or two.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus