[Haskell-cafe] Haskell doctest

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Sep 28 08:13:51 UTC 2016

Am 28.09.2016 um 09:09 schrieb Tony Morris:

> On 28/09/16 17:06, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>> Am 28.09.2016 um 08:29 schrieb Tony Morris:
>>> There is nothing of merit in Python libraries to be learned.
>>
>> That's almost true, but not 100%.
>> E.g. does Haskell have doctests? I.e. you can write example code in
>> the API-level docs, and there is tooling that can extract them, run
>> them, and report whether the examples still work.
>
> I've been doing that for years, with the exception that doing so in
> Haskell is far superior than in Python for reasons too long to list.
>
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/doctest

Ah, sweet.

 >  for reasons too long to list.

Can somebody with a similar long-time working experience in Haskell
doctests provide such a list?
It would be helpful in more than one way: It would help advocate
Haskell, and to the kind of audience that is interested in high quality
so it's a double win; and it would help other language communities
improve their doctest ecosystem, and I think that's what most
multi-language people would very much like to happen.

Regards,
Jo