[Haskell-cafe] Batteries included (Was: GHC is a monopoly compiler)

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Sep 28 07:06:58 UTC 2016

Am 28.09.2016 um 08:29 schrieb Tony Morris:
> There is nothing of merit in Python libraries to be learned.

That's almost true, but not 100%.
E.g. does Haskell have doctests? I.e. you can write example code in the
API-level docs, and there is tooling that can extract them, run them,
and report whether the examples still work.

There's also the old motto of "nothing is completely useless, it can
still serve as a bad example".

 > Please
> don't ruin Haskell to the point of Python.

The Python stdlib is a collection of things people needed. So if you
want a list of batteries that Haskell might be missing, Python's stdlib
is a good shopping list.
You don't want to copy the library API structure, but that danger is
negligible. Python is even more imperative than C++ or Java, it's
dynamically typed, and with these concept differences, what's a good
library design in Python that leverages all the things that Python is
good at is almost automatically neither desirable nor even possible in
Haskell.