[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] GHC is a monopoly compiler

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 07:50:36 UTC 2016

On September 27, 2016 at 3:37:40 AM, Tony Day (tonyday567 at gmail.com) wrote:

> I even have a
> current bug falling somewhere between the platform and stack - something
> crashed looking for the standard linux command line tools - was it the
> msys2 or mingw in platform, or was it stack? Where do I even turn for help?

This patch should fix the issue if it is what I think it is. But the patch is not in a release yet :-/

https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/pull/2552

One workaround is suggested on an associated ticket: https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/1714

Another workaround as I understand it is to just invoke stack always with --no-system-ghc for now.

As to where to turn for help, I think the usual sources all would work — irc, slack, mailinglists (such as cafe — look, it worked!), stackoverflow, etc.

Hope this helps,
Gershom