[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] GHC is a monopoly compiler

Tony Day tonyday567 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 07:37:28 UTC 2016

> Its enemies did a very thorough hatchet job.

Not thorough enough I say, as a sworn enemy.  I actually have haskell
platform installed with batteries included at work on windows (because
that's how we set up python - I pleaded but got nowhere).  I even have a
current bug falling somewhere between the platform and stack - something
crashed looking for the standard linux command line tools - was it the
msys2 or mingw in platform, or was it stack?  Where do I even turn for help?

I'm not part of the 'they' straw-man you sketch out, and I'm asserting that
the reality in the community is the opposite - commercial Haskell is the
runt of the litter and shame on the community for not acknowledging this.

At the very least, bashing commercial Haskell interests for being
commercial is a weak argument, given the reality of how little commercial
scope exists right now.  Accusations of engagement in monopolistic intent
is, quite frankly, pure projection.