[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] GHC is a monopoly compiler

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 03:11:28 UTC 2016

LOL! Oh man, this guy must be pulling my leg... Haskell platform was
never a batteries included plan.  It was a plan for package
bureaucracy, mixed in with a broken installation approach.  Sorry, but
that was not a good enough attempt at emulating python's "batteries
included" . From https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0206/

> The Python source distribution has long maintained the philosophy
> of "batteries included" -- having a rich and versatile standard
> library which is immediately available, without making the user
> download separate packages.

So in other words, the Python guys knew that an approach like Haskell
Platform would never work well, and so they didn't do it.  Instead
they built one big excellent standard library.  I was confused by Mr
Allbery's statements, because I know what "batteries included" means,
and I could never think of Haskell doing that and having it rejected
by newbies.  Newbies would love it.

That is what we should do, but it seems like consensus is
unfortunately difficult to find.

Having a standard set of packages that ossify and find their place in
the museum of Haskell history is absolutely _not_ what python did.
I'm talking about having a good base library.  Now, this topic has
been rehashed time and time again.  We should do new-base, a radically
new base-5.  It will take work, it will take consensus.  Do we have
what it takes?

-Michael