[Haskell-cafe] A question on dependent types in Haskell

Li-yao Xia li-yao.xia at ens.fr
Mon Sep 26 08:51:27 UTC 2016

Hello Todd,

This seems like a neat place to use GADTs!

Instead of trying to define f :: RegExp -> * by fully lifting RegExp to
the type level, you can use GADTs to reflect the structure of a RegExp
in its type:

     data RegExp a where
     -- a is the state type of the FSM associated with the regexp
       Empty :: RegExp EmptyFSM
       Letter :: RegExp LetterFSM
       Plus :: RegExp a -> RegExp b -> RegExp (a, b)
       Cat :: RegExp a -> RegExp b -> RegExp (a, [b])
       Star :: RegExp a -> RegExp [a]

     reg2fsm :: Eq a => RegExp a -> FSM a
     -- ^ I assume you'll need an Eq constraint here to normalize
     -- the "non-deterministic states".

It may be much less flexible than what you originally intended, because
the RegExp type is now tied to your FSM implementation. RegExps might
also become painful to pass around because of their too explicit type.
If that happens to be the case, you can clean up an API which uses this
regexp with an existential wrapper.

     data SomeRegExp where
       SomeRegExp :: Eq a => RegExp a -> SomeRegExp

     data SomeFSM where
       SomeFSM :: Eq a => FSM a -> SomeFSM

Another simpler solution is to only use such a wrapper around FSM (i.e.,
your output), keeping the RegExp type as you first wrote it. You'd have:

     reg2fsm :: RegExp -> SomeFSM

Here you totally lose the relationship between the RegExp and the FSM,
so it seems to move away from what you were looking for. But if
ultimately you don't care about the actual type of the state of a FSM,
this gets the job done.

Regards,
Li-yao