[Haskell-cafe] Standard package file format

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Sep 17 07:22:51 UTC 2016

Am 17.09.2016 um 08:57 schrieb Brandon Allbery:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 2:41 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
>
>> Changing the grammar always produces that kind of awkwardnesses.
>> However, for a fair comparison, you need to actively look for things that
>> work better with the alternate grammar before you conclude it's worse.
>
> The burden is on you to prove that the massive upheaval of a switch is
> justified, not on others to prove that your preference won't work.

I do like YAML, but I know far too little about the various use cases to
justify any preference; it's quite possible that it's not a good fit,
but I can't really decide it.

All I can do is provide knowledge about YAML, which in some cases was
really necessary, and pointing out one-sided arguments such as
Herbert's; doing a review of Cabal config usecases and see how well they
map to YAML is, sadly, beyond my capabilities.
Contributing the best I can and all that.