[Haskell-cafe] Standard package file format

Harendra Kumar harendra.kumar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 07:18:29 UTC 2016

On 16 September 2016 at 12:35, Imants Cekusins <imantc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not adopt (a subset of) .hs AST file format to structure both project
> and package files?

Aha, that's my preferred choice. If there is a way to restrict features and
we can allow just a subset we can have a nice configuration language which
is a real language. In fact, I have been toying around this. If we have to
express not just a package specification but a sophisticated build
configuration, we need a real language. Expressing conditionals, reuse etc
becomes a compromise in a purely declarative language.

For example make has so many built-in functions in it that it has become a
full fledged language by itself. The google bazel build uses python as the
build config language. Haskell will make a much better choice for such use
cases. Pure declarative is a pain for such use cases.

-harendra