[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell-community] technical thoughts on stack

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Fri Sep 16 02:23:56 UTC 2016

On September 16, 2016 9:19:16 AM GMT+09:00, Christopher Allen <cma at bitemyapp.com> wrote:
>The YAML parser backing hpack and Stack supports a subset of yaml, so
>the complexity isn't there.

Is the subset of yaml that Stack supports deacribed anywhere? The yaml package (which Stack depends on) seems to suggest it supports a pretty beefy chunk of YAML, e.g. including includes.

>TOML isn't supported because a well-supported/known-good library
>wasn't to hand, whereas the yaml one did. I don't think people would
>mind changing over, but somebody has to do the work validating that
>the one-still-maintained-of-two-libraries TOML library is suitable.

I'm not suggesting you change over. My feeling is that once a choice like this is made, it is very hard to change post facto. Need to build infrastructure for migrating to new format if you do.

>Keep in mind while discussing all this that Cabal's own solver doesn't
>actually live outside of cabal-install.

Here is the ticket tracking the issue:
https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/3781

Basically, everyone agrees it should happen, but there is a bit of work that has to be done, esp. API design, and most of us have other issues we are frying.

> Contributing to the Cabal
>project itself is a gauntlet run, which is partly why many of these
>projects spawned outside of it.

I know that this was true in the past, and it is hard to regain trust and reputation. But I think things are better now. Our turnaround time for new PRs is now much quicker, and if you submit a PR we will give you commit bits. Obviously that doesn't make up for any past failings, but please give us another look!

> Further, Cabal itself can't really
>grow any dependencies because of the bootstrap problem.

I don't think this is inherently unsolvable. Just work. It would be reasonable to remove Cabal from boot packages GHC distributes and require cabal-install/Stack to bootstrap a sufficiently new version of Cabal library. But you would have to do work to make sure that you dont end up building half the universe on a fresh GHC build. GHC devs would not like that.

>Nobody wants to shim / inline all the dependencies that enable the
>devs to work efficiently into Cabal and such a PR would never get
>merged anyway.

Out of curiosity, what are the libraries that are most painful to not have available from the boot libraries?

Edward