[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell-community] technical thoughts on stack

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Sep 15 05:39:05 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Patrick Pelletier <code at funwithsoftware.org
> wrote:

> On 9/14/16 9:26 PM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>
>> I can give more technical details on warning output: it's purely an issue
>> of compromise between many different (and annoying) ways of displaying
>> things. Firstly, the behavior Chris Allen is commenting: if there is a
>> single local target package that you're building, then all of its GHC
>> output is displayed to the console, including warnings.
>>

> AFAIK, this behavior is not clearly documented.

I'd be happy to add a comment. Do you have a recommendation of somewhere to
put such an explanation that would make sense?

> 3. Save the output to a log file, and then display all of the log files to
>> the user at the end, which would result in looking for a needle in a
>> haystack in many cases
>>

> Is there any harm in having an option for this?  If the number of local
> packages is small (3 in my case) and there are not a huge number of
> warnings, this still seems quite manageable.

Perhaps a simple option to --dump-log-output, which at the end of a build
prints all logs from all local packages? That's certainly possible, though
I haven't touched that part of the code in quite a while.

> When I put together the initial code for running builds, I chose (1),
>> which we still have today. It may be interesting to note that I did this
>> mostly based off of my experience with cabal-install doing the same thing
>> (whenever possible, I defaulted with cabal-install behavior, since it got
>> many things right, and regardless is what people were used to).
>>

> I'm used to using "cabal sandbox add-source" to add dependencies that I
> have locally checked out (e. g. because I've modified them, or because they
> aren't released on Hackage yet).  cabal doesn't printing warnings for those
> dependencies, but it does always print warnings for the one package that
> I'm working on.  (The one in the current directory.)
>
> As far as I know, stack doesn't make a distinction between "the package
> I'm working on now" and other dependencies which are checked out locally.
> They all go in "packages" in the stack.yaml.
>
> So, although it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, it is different
> behavior than I was getting with my cabal workflow.

There is the extra-dep field in packages, but it wouldn't affect this
specific case. But really, the way you tell Stack "the package I'm working
on now" is by specifying it as a target on the command line, which _does_
work: `stack build http-client-tls` in my example above does in fact
display the output on the console.

Thanks for the feedback.

Michael