[Haskell-cafe] technical thoughts on stack

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Sep 14 01:35:48 UTC 2016

On 14/09/16 7:07 AM, Theodore Lief Gannon wrote:
> Stack *does* allow direct interaction with GHC:
>
> stack exec -- ghc version
>
> Granted this lacks a bit in brevity, but if you want to issue multiple
> commands from "inside" stack's private environment, you can also just do
> this:
>
> stack exec sh

Why is this starting to sound like the story of the Genius Tailor?
http://www.wealthculture.cn/infoShow.asp?nid=880&sort=Article%20List

I'm reminded of a Palo Alto research lab I visited once,
where they were running a Lisp system, in order to run another Lisp
system, in order to run Prolog.

I have enough trouble getting useful work done in programming
languages; I want tools like stack to be really simple and obvious
to use.  I'd much rather write a Haskell data structure than YAML;
why do I need to learn Yet Another serialisation format just to use
some fershlugginer project tool?