[Haskell-cafe] technical thoughts on stack

Harendra Kumar harendra.kumar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 22:49:39 UTC 2016

There are multiple ways to achieve this:

1) The env command being discussed is actually "stack exec env". Though it
includes the full environment rather than stack exclusive. You can use
"stack path" to print the stack exclusive environment. You can also use
"stack path --<flag>" to pick specific items from that env.

2) Using "stack exec bash" is a very convenient way as suggested by
Christopher Allen.

3) But I prefer to just use "export PATH=$(stack path --bin-path)" instead
which only sets the PATH. The full environment (when using env or bash)
also includes GHC_PACKAGE_PATH which cabal does not like. So if you want to
use cabal on stack installed ghc just setting PATH works fine.

I think stack has a lot of flexibility and features, in fact too many.
Usually there is already a way to achieve something that you want. Though
there are areas where the user experience can be made better including
cosmetic stuff like not throwing confusing or unnecessary warnings.

-harendra