[Haskell-cafe] regex and Unicode

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Sep 8 08:30:49 UTC 2016

Am 08.09.2016 um 08:42 schrieb Peter Simons:
> Anyway, my point
> is that your system's libpcre may or may not have that feature enabled.
> If it does not, then regex-pcre won't be able to deal with Unicode
> characters properly and that issue should be reported to Debian.

I'd be surprised if that's what's happening; Debian has been all-Unicode
for quite a while now, and PCRE libraries are high-profile enough that
lack of Unicode support would have been reported long ago.

I dimly recall that there are multiple PCRE libraries in Debian, with
subtle differences.
I could imagine that one of them operates in 8-bit mode by default and
wants a flag somewhere to activate Unicode processing.