[Haskell-cafe] Applicative Monoid instance

Jack Henahan jhenahan at me.com
Mon Sep 5 19:32:42 UTC 2016

Instance overlap would break a lot of Monad instances (notably [a]),
IIRC. This instance comes up on the mailing list every two or three
years, it looks like.

2007: https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2007-March/006997.html

2011: https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2011-December/017369.html

2013: http://haskell.1045720.n5.nabble.com/MonadPlus-instance-for-ContT-tp5732028p5732039.html

There's a newtype-wrapped version of this in Control.Compose [1]

[1]: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/TypeCompose-0.9.11/docs/Control-Compose.html#g:10