[Haskell-cafe] GHCJS Bad first impression

David Johnson djohnson.m at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 18:42:56 UTC 2016

Zachary,

I highly recommend using the nix package manager for GHCJS projects.

Nix is very easy to install and uninstall (rm -rf /nix).

To install: curl https://nixos.org/nix/install | sh
To be put into a shell where ghcjs exists along with a few dependencies,
run,

nix-shell -p "haskell.packages.ghcjs.ghcWithPackages (pkgs: with pkgs;
[ghcjs-base ghcjs-dom])"

>From here the only real framework that exists is reflex-dom. There is
actually the reflex-platform project that uses the nix package manager (
https://github.com/reflex-frp/reflex-platform)

- David

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 4:01 AM, Zachary Kessin <zkessin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am starting a project that might use ghcjs and it seems to me that if
> someone's first impression of it is tying stack install and having it take
> several hours to build everything that is not a very welcoming way to get
> people to use ghcjs. Why not precompiled binaries?
>
> Also while It has been compiling i have seen a lot of warnings?
>
> Zach
>
> --
> Zach Kessin
> SquareTarget <http://squaretarget.rocks?utm_source=email-sig>