[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] hledger 1.0

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Sun Oct 30 17:05:00 UTC 2016

Attention, attention hledger-folk! Once again, Happy Hallowe'en.

After almost ten years of steady development, and one year since
our last major release, I am very pleased to announce..

  _     _          _                   _   ___    _
 | |__ | | ___  __| | __ _  ___ _ __  / | / _ \  | |
 | '_ \| |/ _ \/ _` |/ _` |/ _ \ '__| | || | | | | |
 | | | | |  __/ (_| | (_| |  __/ |    | || |_| | |_|
 |_| |_|_|\___|\__,_|\__, |\___|_|    |_(_)___/  (_)
                     |___/

hledger's 1.0 release! It's about time!

hledger (http://hledger.org) is a cross-platform program for tracking
money, time, or any other commodity using double-entry accounting
and a simple plain text file format.
Inspired by Ledger CLI, hledger provides command-line, curses
and web interfaces, and aims to be a reliable, practical tool
for daily use.

Notable changes since 0.27:

- the hledger.org website is simpler, clearer, and more mobile-friendly

- docs have been reorganized, with more focussed manuals available in
  multiple versions, formats and as built-in help

- we support the latest GHC (8 and 7.10), stackage snapshots, and
  libs.  (GHC 7.8 and 7.6 support are not currently supported,
  maintainers welcome.)

- hledger has migrated from parsec to megaparsec and from String to
  Text, parsers have been simplified, memory usage is ~30% less on
  large files, speed is slightly improved all around

- --pivot (group by arbitrary tag instead of account) and --anon
  (obfuscate account names) are now supported

- hledger-ui has acquired many new features making it more useful
  (file editing, filtering, historical/period modes, quick period
  browsing..)

- hledger-web is more robust and more mobile-friendly

- hledger-api, a simple web API server, has been added

- a new "timedot" file format allows retroactive/approximate time
  logging

- the project continues to grow. A call for help was sent out last
  month, and contributor activity is increasing

- a new website, http://plaintextaccounting.org, has been created as a
  portal and knowledge base for hledger, Ledger, beancount and related
  tools and practices.

Full release notes: http://hledger.org/release-notes#hledger-1.0

How to install:

(Get stack, eg from http://haskell-lang.org/get-started)
$ stack install --resolver=nightly hledger [hledger-ui] [hledger-web] [hledger-api]
$ ~/.local/bin/hledger --version

or see http://hledger.org/download for more install options,
including cabal, OS packages and Windows binaries.

Contributors to this release:

Simon Michael, Dominik Süß, Thomas R. Koll, Moritz Kiefer,
jungle-boogie, Sergei Trofimovich, Malte Brandy, Sam Doshi,
Mitchell Rosen, Hans-Peter Deifel, Brian Scott, and Andrew Jones.

How to get and give help:

I hope you enjoy these tools and that they help you achieve your goals.
The hledger project is by now too large for one person to do it justice,
so it's great to see our contributor community growing.  If you like
hledger, your support and participation is welcome! Our IRC channel is
#hledger on Freenode, and you can find out more at http://hledger.org <http://hledger.org/>.

Best,
-Simon