[Haskell-cafe] Suggestion for error message improvement

Zachary Kessin zkessin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 06:57:05 UTC 2016

When I compiled some code this morning I got an error that said that I
should edit my cabal file, but I notice that one thing is missing, the path
to the cabal file. Having that in the error message would make fixing it a
bit easier and faster in that emacs could take me right to the correct
cabal file and that I would know for sure which one it was using.

I tried filing this as a bug on the stack github repo but they said it is a
ghc issue.

[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( tests/test.hs,
.stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-1.24.0.0/build/test/test-tmp/Main.o
)

/home/zkessin/Documents/*****/tests/test.hs:17:1: error:
    Failed to load interface for ‘Control.Lens’
    It is a member of the hidden package ‘lens-4.14’.
    Perhaps you need to add ‘lens’ to the build-depends in your .cabal file.
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
Progress: 1/2
--  While building package ***********-0.1.0.0 using:
      /home/zkessin/.stack/setup-exe-cache/x86_64-linux/setup-Simple-Cabal-1.24.0.0-ghc-8.0.1
--builddir=.stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-1.24.0.0 build
lib:********** test:test --ghc-options " -ddump-hi -ddump-to-file"
    Process exited with code: ExitFailure 1

--
Zach Kessin