[Haskell-cafe] A backhanded compliment and a dilemma

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Oct 20 19:30:08 UTC 2016

Am 20.10.2016 um 08:30 schrieb M Farkas-Dyck:
> On 19/10/2016, Tobias Dammers <tdammers at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Consider this: the most popular programming languages overall are
>> (arguably) PHP and Java, despite being almost half a century behind the
>> state of the art of programming language design in many ways. Ask yourself
>> why that is (and no, I haven't fully figured this one out myself either).
>
> Some people like to be tied up and whipped; i think it's the same phenomenon.

That is neither funny nor accurate.

Not funny for those among us who happen to program in one of these
languages, for whatever reason.

And wildly inaccurable because while Haskell is an excellent language,
the same cannot be said about several relevant parts of its ecosystem.

In fact from the perspective of a Java programmer, mentions of "Cabal
hell" sounds just like "some people like being tortured", which
obviously isn't true either.