[Haskell-cafe] Why does [1.0, 3 ..4] contain 5?

Ben Mellor hyarion at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 19 19:51:05 UTC 2016

My understanding is that it was intended to support enumerations where you write the exact end point, like [1.0, 1.1 .. 2.3]

Because of floating point quirks, this could end up generating a value close to 2.3 that's slightly larger than the value close to 2.3 constructed by directly converting the decimal expression into a floating point number. You need to allow some "slack" in the upper bound to guarantee a value close to the written end point appears in the list. Increasing the bound by half a delta means there will be something close to 2.3 in the list, and shouldn't go far enough to include the next greater element generated.

I suppose by that reasoning you're "not supposed" to use enumerations like [1.0, 3 .. 4], because 4 isn't the idealised mathematical endpoint of the sequence.