[Haskell-cafe] Representing Hierarchies with Typeclasses

Rahul Muttineni rahulmutt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 04:31:05 UTC 2016

Hi cafe,

I want to embed Java class hierarchies in Haskell, but I am unable to find
a clean way to do it.

Assume the class hierarchy C derives from B derives from A.

Partial Solution:
---
type family Super (a :: *) :: *

class Extends a b where
  supercast :: a -> b

instance {-# INCOHERENT #-} (Class a, Class c, Super a ~ b, Super b ~ c) =>
Extends a c where

data A
data B
data C

type instance Super C = B
type instance Super B = A
instance Extends C B
instance Extends B A
--

This is fine and is successfully able to infer Extends C A, but it's
redundant and cannot infer that Extends D A if we let Super D = C. Is there

Thanks,
Rahul Muttineni