[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: add Monoid1 and Semigroup1 classes

Mario Blažević blamario at ciktel.net
Sat Oct 1 18:10:23 UTC 2016

CC-ing the Café on class naming...

On 2016-10-01 04:07 AM, Edward Kmett wrote:
> I'm somewhat weakly against these, simply because they haven't seen
> broad adoption in the wild in any of the attempts to introduce them
> elsewhere, and they don't quite fit the naming convention of the other
> Foo1 classes in Data.Functor.Classes
>
> Eq1 f says more or less that Eq a => Eq (f a).
>
> Semigroup1 in your proposal makes a stronger claim. Semgiroup1 f  is
> saying forall a. (f a) is a semigroup parametrically. Both of these
> constructions could be useful, but they ARE different constructions.

      The standard fully parametric classes like Functor and Monad have
no suffix at all. It makes sense to reserve the suffix "1" for
non-parametric lifting classes. Can you suggest a different naming
scheme for parametric classes of a higher order?

      I'm also guilty of abusing the suffix "1", at least provisionally,
but these are different beasts yet again:

    -- | Equivalent of 'Functor' for rank 2 data types
    class Functor1 g where
    fmap1 :: (forall a. p a -> q a) -> g p -> g q

https://github.com/blamario/grampa/blob/master/Text/Grampa/Classes.hs

      What would be a proper suffix here? I guess Functor2 would make
sense, for a rank-2 type?