[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Sprinkles - zero-programming web dev platform

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Wed Nov 30 15:07:22 UTC 2016

On 11/26/16 12:27 PM, Tobias Dammers wrote:
> https://sprinkles.tobiasdammers.nl/
Hi Tobias, thanks for this. A few thoughts I had so far while trying it
on OSX:

I love the concept! Holds the promise of significantly lowering the cost
of building routine web apps.

The flexibility of storage backends and content formats is great.

I wished for a hackage release to try it out more easily.

Installing all the C deps was not hard using brew, but I would have
preferred if it just used the ones I have (postgres) and disabled the
others (mysql, fcgi).

The country demo failed some of the time due to the demo account
exceeding its quota.

I wishfully assumed it would reload all config files and content on the
fly. Awww. I think that would be in keeping with it's "quick and easy"
direction.

Sprinkles doesn't make app development programming-free of course. It
removes the compilation step (you still have to restart the app), and
replaces functional, scalable Haskell programming with imperative,
easy-to-start-with ginger and yaml code. Those do not look so lovely to
a haskeller, but the advantages for rapid development and sharing with
non-haskellers could be quite persuasive, especially with more dynamic
reloading. Down the road, it seems also possible that such "interpreted"
web apps could be mechanically "compiled" to some degree.