[Haskell-cafe] An idea on extensible effects (anonymous record)

MarLinn monkleyon at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:48:26 UTC 2016

>>  Which brings us back to fclabels I suppose.
> Can you elaborate this? I haven’t fully understand what is
> “incorporate the tag in the class from the start” . Thanks you.

Suppose you have the original definitions

    class Has a t where
         get :: t -> a

    instance Has a (a, b) where
       get (a, _) = a

    instance Has b (a, b) where
       get (_, b) = b

This creates a conflict if you use an (Int,Int) tuple because there are
either no definitions or two conflicting definitions for get.
As a solution you propose something along the lines of

    Has (Tagged “GetGetsFirst” a) (a,b)

  All I'm saying is that it seems useful or even necessary for sanity to
combine Hasand Taggedso that you can write

    Has “fst” a (a,b)

The implementation should be something simple like

    class (KnownSymbol label) => Has label part whole | whole,label ->
    part where
         get :: Proxy label -> whole -> part
    -- 'Proxy label' is necessary because 'whole' and 'part' alone are
    not sufficient to determine the label. See (Int,Int).

The obvious downside is that it doesn't make as much sense to have such
a class now. I must admit I'm not too familiar with the alternatives, so
I can't really compare it. But this was just a flaw I saw. Hope this
cleared up what I meant.

Cheers,
MarLinn