[Haskell-cafe] is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Patrick Pelletier code at funwithsoftware.org
Sun Nov 13 16:44:07 UTC 2016

On 11/13/16 6:05 AM, Saurabh Nanda wrote:

>         * Stackage & Hackage combine -- even the .cabal & .stack file
>         formats (if possible)
>

>     Let's not conflate two things. I assume you're talking about
>     stack.yaml as the ..stack file format. This should be a completely
>     separate discussion for multiple reasons:
>
>     * That's about Stack vs cabal-install instead of Stackage vs Hackage
>     * It's completely necessary to have package-level vs project-level
>     configuration (even cabal-install has a separate project config
>     format separate from the .cabal format)
>

> I didn't realise that. Let me read more about the problems that stack
> is trying to solve vs those that cabal is trying to solve. To my
> untrained eye, they're solving very similar problems to exist as two
> separate projects. Isn't a package a kind of a project? Or vice-versa.

Here's what I wrote last time this was discussed:

https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2016-September/124896.html

which is pretty much what Snoyman said in his follow-up here.  To me,
stack is trying to solve the same problems as hsenv, as well as the same
problems as cabal-install, as well as some problems that neither
solves.  And although there's overlap between cabal-install and stack,
that's not the same as saying there's overlap between stack.yaml and
.cabal files.

--Patrick