[Haskell-cafe] is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Patrick Pelletier code at funwithsoftware.org
Sun Nov 13 16:43:29 UTC 2016

On 11/13/16 1:29 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> By the way, regarding your comments about resourcet and FP Complete:
> I'm honestly offended at this tone. I've clearly attempted quite often
> and quite sincerely to get such cooperation to happen, and have been
> rebuffed. Even if you're unaware of that, the implied accusation
> assumes a lot which isn't true. I honestly considered ignoring this
> thread entirely based on this tone, I'm tired of dealing with it.

I'm very sorry!  I did not mean to offend.  I take Simon PJ seriously in
his call to have a productive, respectful discourse in the Haskell
community.

To be clear, I did not object to resourcet linking to Stackage; what I
objected to is that the link to stackage is in place of having any sort
of description of resourcet, rather than in addition to it.  To me, that
feels like it is making Hackage less useful (by denying it the package
description) rather than making the most of Hackage, even though it
isn't perfect.  This makes me a little grouchy, and perhaps this
grouchiness seeped into my comments, for which I apologize.

Also, Hackage does have the ability to upload docs very conveniently,
via "cabal upload --documentation", so this can be used to work around
the fact that "Hackage documentation generation is not reliable."

We need to all work together in good faith to make the Haskell ecosystem
better.  I am doing my best to do that, even if I am not perfect.  I
have already volunteered privately to Gershom B to work on the Hackage
documentation generation code.  I would like to make Hackage docs more
reliable.  This may or may not involve integrating with the S3 docs.
That is a technical decision, and no slight should be implied, whatever
the outcome.

Once again, I'm sorry if I have not succeeded in upholding Simon PJ's
standards for the Haskell community.  I genuinely appreciate the
contributions you and FP Complete have made to the Haskell ecosystem.

--Patrick