[Haskell-cafe] Avoid sharing

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Mon Nov 7 21:32:50 UTC 2016

GHC is allowed to do common sub-expression elimination which
would cause sharing.  For example:

    module Opt where

    {-# NOINLINE bar #-}
    bar :: Int -> Int
    bar x = x + 3

    foo :: Int -> Int
    foo s = bar s * bar s

Here's the core for 'foo':

    foo =
      \ (s_ayA :: Int) ->
        case bar s_ayA of _ [Occ=Dead] { GHC.Types.I# x_aJa ->
        GHC.Types.I# (GHC.Prim.*# x_aJa x_aJa)
        }

bar is invoked only once.

In Michael's original example, CSE doesn't fire, probably because
the tuple constructor is lazy. I am not entirely certain what the
interaction here is.

Edward

Excerpts from Tom Ellis's message of 2016-11-07 21:10:41 +0000: