[Haskell-cafe] programming style...and type classes...

Tobias Dammers tdammers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:29:37 UTC 2016

My rule of thumb is that if there is one obvious instance (or none) for
every given type, then your abstraction is a good candidate for a
typeclass; if multiple instances make sense, then it's a judgment call;
and if many instances could arbitrarily make sense or not depending on
the usage / circumstances, then it's probably not a good candidate for a
typeclass.

For example, Functor is a very good typeclass - every type can have
exactly zero or one lawful Functor instance; if you think about it a
little, this means that with Functor, you can never run into overlapping
or undecidable instances, and the open universe is a fairly benign
problem - even if you derive or implement an orphan instance, it will at
least be functionally and logically equivalent to other possible
instances.

Most of the typeclasses in base are tougher calls, but overall, I would
say they still make a lot of sense. I'd be hard pressed to come up with
a type that has more than one sensible Monad instance, for example.

Something like Aeson's ToJSON / FromJSON is kind of a judgment call -
On the one hand, they shouldn't be typeclasses, because ideally you want to
separate JSON format specifications from data types (i.e., the user code
of a given type should decide on the serialization format, not the type
itself), but on the other hand, more often than not one designs types
specifically for the purpose of representing a certain JSON schema, and
an extra translation step sits between these types and the actual domain
types (at least that's how I often do it).

On a side note; it's not like the open universe principle is a bad idea.
There are lots of benefits to be had here.