[Haskell-cafe] Package metadata format - notes from discussion

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 14:14:26 UTC 2016

I didn't see much in the form of problem statement in those threads.

Let me suggest one: A new format should support the megarepo setup.  Today
95% of the text in a .cabal file that exists in a megarepo is fluff.  It
should be possible to specify a .cabal file in 1-3 lines in a typical
megarepo setup.

- repeating copyright, repo location, ghc options, most of the
dependencies, description, url, author, even version.  All should be
inherited.  Listing modules seems unnecessary if there are known strategies
for that.

How about making the cabal file a Monoid so it can be composed?  I heard
that's a Haskell thing.

Alexander