[Haskell-cafe] Using unboxed integers

Rahul Muttineni rahulmutt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 05:58:02 UTC 2016

Use the isTrue# function which is made visible by importing GHC.Base.

isTrue# (x <=# y) :: Bool

You can show an Int# by wrapping it up in an I# data constructor and
applying show to it:

x# :: Int#
show (I# x#) ::String

You can make the I# data constructor visible via GHC.Base like above.

Hope that helps!
Rahul

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz>
wrote:

> I have x, y :: Int#
> I expect that x <=# y :: Bool
> but ghc 7.8 says
>     Couldn't match expected type ‘Bool’ with actual type ‘Int#’
>     In the expression: x <=# y
>     In an equation for ‘b’: b = x <=# y
>
> I have MagicHash and I've imported the right modules so that
> <=# is recognised as *something*, but at this point I'm baffled.
>
> I'm also not clear on how I can show an Int#.

Rahul Muttineni