[Haskell-cafe] SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop @ ICFP

Lindsey Kuper icfp.publicity at googlemail.com
Tue May 31 22:02:37 UTC 2016

SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop @ ICFP
Nara, Japan (co-located with ICFP 2016)
Sunday, September 18th, 2016

http://conf.researchr.org/track/icfp-2016/PLMW-ICFP-2016/

We are pleased to invite students interested in functional programming
research to the programming languages mentoring workshop at ICFP. The
goal of this workshop is to introduce senior undergraduate and early
graduate students to research topics in functional programming as well
as provide career mentoring advice. We have recruited leaders from the
functional programming community to provide overviews of current
research topics and give students valuable advice about how to thrive
in graduate school, search for a job, and cultivate habits and skills
that will help them in research careers.

This workshop is part of the activities surrounding ICFP, the
International Conference on Functional Programming, and takes place
the day before the main conference. One goal of the workshop is to
make the ICFP conference more accessible to newcomers and we hope
participants will stay through the entire conference.

Through the generous donation of our sponsors, we are able to provide
travel scholarships to fund student participation. These travel
scholarships will cover reasonable travel expenses (airfare and hotel)
for attendance at both the workshop and the main three days of the
ICFP conference.

The workshop is open to all. Students with alternative sources of
funding for their travel and registration fees are welcome. In
particular, many student attendance programs provide full or partial
travel funding for students to attend ICFP 2016, including the ACM
Student Research Competition. More information about student
attendance programs at ICFP is available:
http://conf.researchr.org/home/icfp-2016

Application for Travel Support:

The travel funding application is available from the PLMW webpage.
The deadline for full consideration of funding is July 1st,
2016. Selected participants will be notified by July 15th.

Organizers:

Amal Ahmed, Northeastern University
Robby Findler, Northwestern University
Atsushi Igarashi, Kyoto University