[Haskell-cafe] The maths behind the Fastest Fibb In The West.

Michael Litchard michael at schmong.org
Fri May 6 23:46:20 UTC 2016

I've been working on a project that needs a good fibonacci generator, and
I'm to the point where can now improve upon this one:
https://wiki.haskell.org/The_Fibonacci_sequence#Fastest_Fib_in_the_West

thanks to this guy:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/haskell-cafe/HUgbAUCvCp4

He suggested breaking up a guard into two diffeent functions, which I can
do, but I don't know what to call them because I don't know why the
operations are different. I'm referring to this section:

fib' (f, g) p
            | p         = (f*(f+2*g), f^2 + g^2)
            | otherwise = (f^2+g^2,   g*(2*f-g))

I'd like to know the reason why each guard does two entirely different
things, so I know what to call the functions when I seperate them out.