[Haskell-cafe] Calling Haskellers to Bryn Mawr & Haverford

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Mar 18 20:44:44 UTC 2016

Anyone who has probed deeply (or at all!) into the delay behind the release of GHC 8.0 may have come across protestations from me that I'm on a job search and have been struggling to find the time to finish off the last few show-stopper bugs. That search has now come to a very happy conclusion, and so I'm writing to share the news:

I will be starting as an Assistant Professor at Bryn Mawr College this fall.

In my role there, I'm expecting to introduce a new course (or two) on functional programming using Haskell (though the emphasis would be more on pure, strongly typed functional programming than on Haskell, per se), as well as to continue to pursue my research interests in the design and implementation of functional languages along with the requisite type theory. Undergrads will feature prominently in my research efforts, joining my research lab and collaborating on research papers. That's where you come in.

Are you, reading this list, a high school student? (Or perhaps an undergrad looking for a change?) Do you know a Haskeller who is? Then come to Bryn Mawr and work with me to design the functional language of the future.

"But wait!" many of you might say, "isn't Bryn Mawr only for women?" Yes, indeed it is. However, right down the street is Haverford College, a co-ed school. Haverford and Bryn Mawr share a close relationship, with regular free transportation (< 10 mins) between the schools and very frequent cross-registration for courses. Haverford students even sometimes declare their major at Bryn Mawr and vice versa. The CS departments regularly coordinate in deciding which courses to offer and when, in order to allow students to access the resources of both colleges. So, for you young men out there, I'll rephrase:

Are you, reading this list, a high school student? (Or perhaps an undergrad looking for a change?) Do you know a Haskeller who is? Then come to Haverford (or Swarthmore, or University of Pennsylvania) and work with me to design the functional language of the future.

I've included Swarthmore and UPenn (where I'm finishing my dissertation) above as members of the Quaker Consortium, where students have cross-registration privileges. Swarthmore is also in the Tri-College Consortium with Bryn Mawr, which also allows easier inter-college research experiences. Swarthmore students can get to Bryn Mawr via free van service (~25 mins) and UPenn students can get to Bryn Mawr via 20 minutes on SEPTA regional rail (these links are admittedly less convenient than the Haverford bus).

Of course, I'm happy to answer questions. Though, being new to Bryn Mawr, I may have to refer you to others to get the answers!

Hope to see you on campus!
Richard